Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sunning Out Stains Challenge


The sun is amazing.
Not only does it generate enough heat to maintain life
on our planet, but it is a natural stain remover.
Yep, you heard me right.. You can SUN OUT STAINS!



Ever get frustrated by a dingy diaper?
You know those stains that seem to pop up out of
NOWHERE on your precious, favorite diaper.
What do we expect? They are for pooing in, right?
I know it has happened to me and tons of other mamas;
We work really hard to keep our fluff stash in
tip-top shape but low and behold stains creep in.

Just like a bothersome ketchup stain on your 
favorite white t-shirt, stains on diapers are embarrassing;
It may lead some to believe you don't wash them properly
or that you are careless with them.
But I know that's not the case.
Some stains are inevitable but have no fear, 
there IS a solution.

I recently bought a BumGenius Elemental off a mama
on Fluff Swappers for ridiculously cheap because
it was in such a horrible condition.
The mama ensured me the diaper was in working order
but just very badly stained.
When I received the diaper in the mail
I was shocked! I had NEVER seen a diaper
that badly stained, in person!
The diaper had stains galore;
Not just poo stains but hard water, rusk
like staining ALL over the inner.
I was truly skeptical that I would be able to "FIX"
this diaper but I was up for the challenge.



  First I washed the BGE in Crunchy Clean
along with my regular diaper laundry
and sunned for a FULL day, but that
did not seem to faze it any.
My hubby even made a comment
"I think that one needs to be washed again."
lol. men!
On the second day I washed it with a load 
of the girls laundry (I use Crunchy Clean for all laundry)
and drenched it with straight lemon juice.
{Lemon Juice can be applied directly to stains or added
to the rinse cycle to help with stains.}

BGE and lemon juice

Diaper on the line on the 3rd day
 Then another day of sun bathing.. and night, I forgot it. Oops.
The next day I did the same again, washed with a load 
of laundry, drenched it with lemon juice and let it
spend the day soaking up the sun.
After 3 full days, 2 doses of lemon juice and
4 full washes, my clementine BumGenius Elemental
that I purchased for uber cheap looks
like a completely different diaper.


I still look at that diaper in amazement.
Take into consideration that I live in Tennessee
with very little cloud cover.. The 3 days I 
sunned this diaper it reached 100 degrees easily.
I know not everyone has access to sun most days, 
but truly any sun is better than none!
UV rays can still get to the diaper thru the clouds.

**A little side note, when using lemon juice
make sure to rinse out before putting back
on baby's skin!
Side by side for comparison
I hope this article shows you that
the sun can do wonders on your stains 
and that truly NO stain is impossible!
Are you up for the Sunning Out Stains Challenge?
;)


3 comments:

Kiyomi said...

I will have to try the lemon juice! I purchased most of my diapers off craigslist and they some bad staining. I have sunned them but not mulitple times after each other. I washed, sunned, and used again (I don't have enough diapers to put all the ones that have bad staining through that).
Maybe I will try it with a couple at a time.
Thanks, great post!

Forgetful Mom said...

I only hang mine to dry. Either on the line in direct sunlight or on a drying rack in front of our picture window where they get early morning sunlight. I am going to have to remember about the lemon juice for future use.

ticklemetiffy said...

I had my doubts about sunning originally (Im still pretty much a CD rookie) until someone showed me this link http://knickernappies.blogspot.com/2010/11/sunning-your-diapers-in-rain-does-it.html
and then on diaperswappers someone asked for sunning pics since they were skeptical and it started a whole thread of all these miraculous pics and now I am happy to say I have sunned out infant AND toddler stains successfully :)

thanks for posting this though as Im sure some of your readers may have been skeptics like I once was!